Five HVAC Measures Your Facility Manager Should Implement
A popular topic of discussion among building managers and facilities professionals these days is indoor air quality, and for good reason. A well-maintained HVAC system is critical to keep tenants, employees and customers comfortable, healthy and safe. However, it is especially important now as we recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Understandably, people are cautious about returning to the office. The CDC suggests a layered approach to reduce exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Below we have outlined measures that should be implemented in regard to HVAC protocols and how RWS can help to increase the safety of your employees and tenants.
- Assess your building’s indoor air quality and occupant safety.
We provide comprehensive audits on energy and air quality in order to create a better, customized HVAC program.
- Ensure ventilation systems operate properly and provide acceptable indoor air quality for the current occupancy level for each space.
It is paramount to successfully ensure ventilation is operating properly in order to displace pollutants.
- Rebalance or adjust HVAC systems to increase total airflow to occupied spaces when possible.
An increase in airflow to occupied spaces generates more clean air and disperses potential pollutants.
- Improve central air filtration.
It is of utmost importance to make sure air filters are properly sized and within their recommended service life. Then air filtration should be increased to as high as possible without significantly reducing design airflow.
- Inspect and maintain exhaust ventilation systems in areas such as kitchens, cooking areas, etc. Operate these systems any time these spaces are occupied. Consider operating them even when the specific space is not occupied, to increase overall ventilation within the occupied building.
We can help you create a customized program that continues to work for you even after you have left the office.
Our subject matter experts have years of experience in all the steps you need to take to ensure your HVAC systems align with all the recommended guidelines. When you partner with RWS, your safety is a priority; and like any true partnership we want to collaborate with you to reach the standards that ensure the safety of yourself and the occupants of your building.